What does it mean to “act your age”? And who said, “you are only as old as you feel”? We could guess they were probably in their first half of life and full of young ignorance, before the realities of a full and fun, imbalanced life set in. As we grow older, we often see and feel the consequences of a carefree and imbalanced youth. Though we are all aging, the thought (and the wrinkles and the creaking aches and the irritating pains) makes many of us feel insecure. Many of tell tale aging signs are also indications of imbalance in the body. The key to aging gracefully may not be to run and hide from the years, but in finding a way to re-establish balance (homeostasis) to many of the body’s systems.
Cannabis is known for having many different health benefits, but its role in age related concerns is not as well known. And it should be! There are thousands of peer reviewed published studies on cannabinoids (component from the cannabis plant, like CBD or CBG) and even terpenes for skin health, brain health, pain management and even effects on sleep. Cannabinoids and terpenes communicate with the body’s Endocannabinoid System (ECS) a major communication and regulatory system discovered while researching the communication of cannabis in the human body. The ECS communicates with all the body’s systems and sends messages of where and how to return to a state of homeostasis.
But, where to start? How do you use cannabinoids, like CBD, to and Why? With the right knowledge and the right products, you can easily incorporate cannabis into your daily routine to keep you looking and feeling healthy, vibrant and balanced.
What do you need to understand about cannabis, cannabinoids and anti-aging:
What are Antioxidants and Free Radicals?
We hear these words all the time, but beyond “antioxidants are good and “free radicals are bad”, here is a quick run down:
- Antioxidants are molecules that fight the effects of free radicals.
- Free radicals are unstable atoms, and at high levels, they can have a damaging effect on your body.
- Free radicals are not all bad; if you have moderate levels, your body can use them to fight off infections. The truth is you need a good balance of free radicals and antioxidants in your body in order to stay healthy.
- When you have more free radicals than antioxidants in your body, this creates oxidative stress. Oxidative stress can damage important molecules in your body, including your DNA, and can lead to cell death. It can even increase your risk of cancer. Scientists have also noted that the presence of free radicals can play a substantial role in the aging process.
- Exposure to air pollution, cigarette smoke, alcohol, toxins, and radiation can all increase your levels of free radicals. However, by consuming healthy amounts of antioxidants, you can combat these negative effects.
- Eating plenty of vegetables and fruits (especially those rich in vitamin C and E) as well as drinking green tea is a sure way to load up on antioxidants, OR you can also get them from cannabis via CBD and terpenes. One study found that CBD has more potent antioxidant effects that either vitamin C or E!
Cannabis and Skin Health
When we think of aging, the first thing we usually think of is how it affects our face followed by the thought of damaged and wrinkled skin.
While there are many beauty products that claim to help reduce wrinkles and rejuvenate skin, none really touch on the improving skin health. Healthy skin is taught, supple with an even tone. Years of damage from the environment, or lifestyle causes a breakdown in the function and
The two primary beneficial compounds in the cannabis plant are cannabinoids (CBD is one of them) and terpenes.
Cannabinoids are anti oxidants and work to fight free radicals.
Cannabis Can Reduce Skin Inflammation
Skin inflammation can be a real problem, and not just because it’s painful and itchy. Inflammation can cause your skin to mature faster, making you look older than you really are.
However, CBD is a potent anti-inflammatory (CBD is even effective at treating acne), so incorporating it as part of your natural skin care arsenal is one of the best things you can do for your skin health.
Cannabis, Aging, and Brain Health
As we get older, it is not uncommon to experience cognitive changes. Memory loss, dementia, and Alzheimer’s are all common illnesses that can affect us as we age. We can think of it as a huge computer that has used up much of its memory.
With all the anti-cannabis propaganda that has been directed at us for most of our lifespans, it might be hard to believe that cannabis could actually help improve brain function rather than suggest a negative impairment. After years of research on specific components from the plant and their effects on the brain specifically, the “This is your brain, this is your brain on drugs” egg and frying pan analogy is not an accurate visualization, for cannabis anyway.
Part of the reason for cognitive decline is that the body’s endocannabinoid system (ECS), which is responsible for regulating our memory, begins to function less efficiently. Research suggests cannabis components help the ECS reach “normal signaling levels.” CBD helps your brain, your body’s computer “defrag” and work more efficiently.
Cannabis and Aging-Related Pain
Another uncomfortable consequence of aging? Your body is more likely to experience aches and pain — some related to previous injury and some that feel totally random. Rheumatoid arthritis is particularly common among middle-aged and baby-boomer individuals.
Of course, cannabis can be used to treat pain and inflammation, and arthritis definitely falls under both those categories. A daily supplement of CBD and a MCT (medium chain triglyceride) will have a positive effect on inflammatory aches and pains, as well as many other health benefits.
Science will continue to unveil many health benefits of cannabis, but as far as the greatest generation is concerned, there is promising evidence of relief for many age related concerns. The use of TRUSTed cannabis, cannabinoid, CBD, CBG and terpene infused formulations could encourage that we feel ease, maybe even a little younger, and definitely keep us from acting our age and truly finding a balance in aging!