There are so many products available in the beauty industry today and if you typically keep up with the latest and greatest trends, then we are sure you have heard the buzz regarding CBD. Many people all over the globe are striving to reach optimum health, whether that is incorporating more exercise into their lives or only reaching for all-natural products, there has definitely been a shift in the world when it comes to health and wellness.
We are starting to see it everywhere; from pain management to anxiety disorders, and other medical conditions, CBD seems to help with just about everything, but can it help with beauty as well? Also known as cannabidiol, CBD has a long list of benefits that has caused quite a bit of controversy but keep reading because we are going to fill you in on all the important facts!
What Is CBD?
Before we dive right into all the amazing benefits that CBD has to offer, let’s take a quick peek into the past to truly understand the full picture of this multipurpose compound. The earliest recorded use of cannabis dates back to 2737 BC when Chinese Emperor Sheng Nung used cannabis-infused tea to help with a variety of ailments such as arthritis, malaria, and gout. At this time, science was still very young so many people used cannabis for its healing effects not really understanding what it was or how it was helping them.
As society evolved so did science bringing us to 1841 when an Irish physician named William O’ Shaughnessy was responsible for the introduction of the cannabis Sativa plant to Western Medicine. A few decades later in 1892, a leading Canadian internist named William Osler was inspired by the work done by O’ Shaughnessy diving deeper into this powerful plant. Osler was soon given the nickname, “Father of Modern Medicine” and used the cannabis Sativa plant to help with pain relief from his debilitating migraines.
Fast forward to the early 1900s. Roger Adams who was another great scientist made history when he successfully extracted the first cannabidiol (CBD) from the Sativa cannabis plant. This was a huge breakthrough in changing the world forever!
CBD is a chemical compound that is found in the cannabis Sativa plant. These plants contain over a hundred compounds known as cannabinoids with CBD making up just one of them. In fact, the two most popular cannabinoids that come from these powerful plants are CBD and THC.
Can CBD Make You High?
This is a great question and the answer is no. Although the two are derived from the same plant and both activate the cannabinoid receptors within the endocannabinoid system, CBD and THC are two completely unique chemical compounds producing different side effects. To be clear, CBD will not produce the “high” associated from THC found in the marijuana plant.
CBD in the Beauty Industry
In 2014, The Farm Bill lifted restrictions for cultivating cannabis in the United States that had less than 0.3% THC which started the rise in research regarding CBD. A few years later, The Farm Bill of 2018 was later passed further clarifying that any extract from cannabis such as CBD with 0.3% THC or less, would not be included in any controlled substance qualifications. This completely removed the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) limitations on CBD as it was no longer classified as a controlled substance which pushed it into popularity making it what it is today!
CBD products can come in many forms such as:
- Topical creams or salves
- Vape oil
With studies uncovering all of the amazing health benefits that CBD has to offer, it didn’t take long for the beauty industry to discover how truly powerful this super compound really is. Today, it seems that CBD is one of the most sought-after ingredients taking over the cosmetic and skincare sector today.
What Is a CBD Isolate?
As amazing as CBD is, it does tend to hold a bit of a bad rep solely due to its cousin, tetrahydrocannabinol commonly known as THC. Like we mentioned earlier, they are two completely different chemical compounds as CBD will not have an intoxicating effect on the body like the active ingredient THC does, but for some people, that legal 0.3% or less THC makes them a little nervous! If you are someone that wants to completely stay away from THC but give CBD a try due to its never-ending list of incredible benefits, then a CBD isolate is for you!
CBD is extracted from the cannabis Sativa plant and then isolated from all the other cannabinoids found within the plant, including THC. The result is CBD in its most pure and potent form. Some of the benefits of a CBD isolate are:
- The purest form of CBD available on the market
- No risk of psychoactive effects
- Easy to mix in a liquid and or cook with
Did you know that your skin is the largest organ in your body and absorbs close to 70% of what you slather into it? When looking for a skincare product, don’t you want to stick with ingredients of the highest quality in the purest form? We do too and that’s why TRUST Beauty uses only the best ingredients like CBD isolate to ensure you are getting the greatest benefit from your skincare products!
What Are the Benefits of CBD Oil?
We are sure that you have heard CBD can help with things like anxiety and pain due to ailments such as arthritis and fibromyalgia, but what can it help with skincare? Here are some of the benefits that CBD has to offer!
- Reduces the signs of aging – as you age, your skin will begin to show signs such as wrinkles and fine lines. To keep your skin looking young, it is important to use moisturizers or anti-aging creams. CBD plays a huge part in keeping your skin healthy and hydrated when incorporated into your beauty regimen. Omega 6 and omega 3 are two fatty acids found in CBD oil. These essential fatty acids stimulate the production of collagen and helps to retain moisture in your skin which works to keep you hydrated and rejuvenated!
- Fights acne – acne is a skin condition that comes from excess oil, dirt and dead skin cells that accumulate, clogging your pores which can cause your skin to become inflamed. Studies show that CBD has properties that can stop acne and the overproduction of oil due to its anti-inflammatory properties making it a secret weapon to ward off those pesky blemishes! Unlike prescription drugs, CBD also only targets problems causing acne cells which allows your skin to heal without having to experience any form of dryness or irritation to your skin.
- Helps to combat dry skin – managing dry skin can be tough. Maintaining moisture using medications can be hard because sometimes the ingredients will dry out your skin preventing it from producing any oil at all. Dry skin can lead to scaly patches, peeling, and itchiness. CBD has shown to work wonders boasting with a perfect balance of substances and nutrients that will moisturize and nourish your skin. It can help to stop the peeling of your skin, rough patches, cracks, and cuts.
- Manages eczema – if you suffer from eczema then you know firsthand how frustrating and stressful it can be. The skin condition affects over 30% of Americans and can make your life challenging and uncomfortable due to the intense and frequent itchiness. Unfortunately, there is no cure for the disease as of yet, however, CBD has been shown to help make it a little bit more manageable due to its hydrating and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Soothes irritated skin – CBD infused skincare products are amazing for many reasons, but one of the most popular uses today is to soothe irritated and red skin. The anti-inflammatory properties work to calm your skin fighting to reduce any redness leaving you with a glowing and bright complexion.
- Alleviates Psoriasis – an autoimmune disease that attacks healthy skin, Psoriasis is a skin condition that accelerates the life cycle of skin cells by causing them to multiply quickly on the surface causing discoloration, scaly patches, and most commonly, red spots. In order to relieve the pain caused by this illness, you will need to reduce inflammation and slow down the rapid growth of skin cells which can all be found from using CBD.
CBD holds some truly amazing benefits making it a breakthrough compound in the beauty industry today! However, it is not just the beauty industry that is benefiting from this all-natural medicine. Here are some health issues and health conditions that CBD can help benefit:
- Can alleviate things like social anxiety and depression by improving your mood
- Reduces chronic pain
- Can help to reduce blood pressure promoting better heart health
- Fights insomnia
- Aids in the reduction of symptoms associated with Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson's disease
- Can help to alleviate inflammation
- May prevent seizures by improving nervous system function
- Helps digestion and the immune system
Believe it or not, scientists have only scratched the surface of CBD and are learning more and more about it every single day through clinical trials and other animal studies. This all-natural compound is powerful in so many ways making it an incredible addition to anyone’s routine! If you have not done so already, we highly recommend giving CBD a try!